[vox-tech] Anyone have experience with Windows XP & Linux on a Laptop?

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 18:52:24 -0800

Quoting Steven Peck (speck@blkmtn.org):

> I would strongly advise that you avoid Sony Vaio laptops.  They are
> amoung the most proprietary laptops in existance and even getting a
> different versions of Windows, then the one it came with, to work on
> them can prove incredibly difficult.

The exception was the first-generation VAIOs, such as the PCG-505TX and
505TR (P266-class).  Those were very Linux-friendly, and I'm still
delighted with my old 505TX.

Rumour has it that they were designed by Linux/BSD-fan engineers, and
that Sony HQ eventually noticed and dictated that subsequent generations
be deliberately made with components that discourage "unsupported
operating systems" -- e.g., USB floppies, unsupported sound and video
chipsets, winmodems, etc.  Unconfirmed -- but the results are consistent
with that rumour.  (Linux eventually overcomes each such obstacle, e.g.,
the USB floppy drive.)

--
May those that love us love us; and those that don't love us, may
God turn their hearts; and if he doesn't turn their hearts, may