[vox-tech] looking at XFree86

Robin Snyder vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:46:56 -0700 (PDT)

I've run into the usual infinite regress of problems.  Woody has now
become "stable" in the Debian hierarchy, so the other day, I upgraded my
work machine from potato to woody.  (My previous message concerned my home
machine.)  In the process, X broke.  After much futzing, it's still
broken.  I think I may just have it, although it keeps asking for the
mga_hal module, which I've never needed before.  I'm in the process of
running dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 and have gotten to the point of
specifying video modes.  I'm trying to look at my old XF86Config file
(which I backed up before upgrading) to see what I had listed before, but
I can't read the XF86Config file.  I'm told that no such file exists, even
though I can see it listed, with nonzero size, and I have read permission.
Can anyone tell me what's going on?

			- robin.