[vox-tech] need help with the lugod faq

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 28 Aug 2002 22:10:14 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>

[...]

> > Pine:
> >
> > I use one method, and a quick web search yielded another, more general,
> > method.
>
> cool.  i added this verbatim (after docbook-izing it) and attributed it
> to you.

Looks nice.  Of course, once I start looking the FAQ over, I note:

a) "FIXME: Does the business service uses PPPoE?"  PPPoE is only for
single ips.  The business service hands out five static ip addresses.
I suppose it would be possible to run separate PPPoE connections through a
hub and a single DSL line, but I don't think they do that.

b) 6.1.2 and 6.1.3: PPoE should be PPPoE. (note RP-PPoE as well...)

c) People have used Starband with Linux by bypassing the USB port to an
internal ethernet port, but the bandwidth is apparently only slightly
better than a 56k modem if you don't use their Windows-Only software to
lie about packet acknowledgements so the "pipe" will fill up. Even then,
accessing a web page with lots of small elements is apparently painful.
See
http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/02/04/30/1938203.shtml?tid=95%C2%94

d) I don't know if it is a docbook transformation problem, but the left
margin changes in section 4.10.

> i liked my present!   thanks, jeff!   :-)

You're welcome!

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing