[vox-tech] skpeterson@ucdavis.edu

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:55:34 -0700

hi sam,

begin Sam Peterson <skpeterson@ucdavis.edu>
> In regards to Mozilla's mime types, you only need to define a mime
> type in helper apps if there is no plugin associated with the mime
> type and you want to use an external application to view mime-types
> that Mozilla can't view natively.  Go to about plugins under the help
> menu.  All mime types that are listed there don't need an entry in
> Preferences as they're handled by the appropriate plugin.

ahhh.  ok.   i guess i see pros and cons.  it's awfully nice to be able
to change the associations without having to hack at an XML file.

OTOH, it's awfully nice not having to go through a bazillion file types
looking for the string ".wav" if i want to change the filetype.

> And here's something to make you like Mozilla.  Under the the "Scripts
> & Windows" section of the Advanced section, uncheck the "Open
> unrequested windows" and "Change status bar text".  Now go surf a few
> unscrupulous sites and I think you'll notice a difference if you know
> what I mean ;-).

ya.  i just found that a couple of hours ago.  i was playing around with
.rm, .ra, .ram, .rv files.  found a page that kept popping up annoying
webhosting pages.

it made surfing my \/\/arez and pr0n sites MUCH nicer...

> To open a new tab, type Ctrl+T.

oh, cool.   i was looking for that.  :)

> As for speed, well, I agree, but thems the breaks I 'spose.  I'd keep
> using Opera then if it's enough of a problem on your machine.  I've
> always used Mozilla ever since the .9 days as it was stable enough to
> be tolerable and it's JavaScript support was immaculate.  But the
> memory consumption's gross, expecially when running a java applet.

i think i may just bounce between the two browsers.  hopefully either
opera will fix its print system or mozilla will get its speed up.   one
of those options is bound to happen sooner or later!

pete