[vox-tech] lame-ass mozilla questions

Fri, 23 Aug 2002 15:09:30 -0700

begin Ryan <ryan@mother.com>

> On Friday 23 August 2002 02:35 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > ok, it's been awhile since i've used netscape/mozilla, but i'd like to
> > at least be familiar with these browsers.  not everyone has opera...
> >
> > 1. mozilla opens .ra and .rm files using /usr/X11/bin/realplay.  yet
> >    "edit|prefs|helper apps" has just one entry: "text/html".  where else
> >    does mozilla store information identifying helper apps with mime
> >    types (or filename extensions)?
>
> `locate mime`
>
> I'me not exactaly sure where it would be.

apparently /home/p/.mozilla/p/sfyq5cev.slt/mimeTypes.rdf.  looks like
some kind of xml file.

i wonder if that config file pathname and filename is supposed to be a
joke?

and why can't i see these types under Edit | Prefs | Helper Apps?

sigh.  i'm trying to like mozilla.  i really am.  :(

> I refuse to install realplayer because of it's tendancy to take over mime
> types. (if anyone knows how to prevent this evilness, PLEASE LET ME KNOW!)

i'm not sure what you mean.  on windows or unix?  there's no central
authority to do that kind of thing.   at least on opera, i've never had
a problem with realplayer taking over mime types.

which mime types are you talking about?

in fact, i've never had anything but good experiences with realplayer.

> Also, real hides it on thier site. It's very hard to find.

true.  there's a debian package for it in the non-free section.   you
can't download it from debian, but they give you the url to go to.

> It's at http://forms.real.com/real/player/unix/unix.html if anyone wants it,
> but I don't think it's worth touching.
>
> > 3. i saw a screenshot of mozilla with "window tabs", like opera.
> >    frankly, this (and speed) are the two reasons why i use opera and not
> >    mozilla.  think of a GTK+ notebook widget, with each notebook page
> >    being a separate browser window.
> >
> >    what version of mozilla did this appear in?
>
> Donno, but 1.0 has it. I have mine set up to open windows in a new tob, and
> leave it unfocused when I middle click a link.

oh, nice!  i just found it.  thanks!

pete