[vox-tech] Need X Windows performance monitoring help

Eric Nelson vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:16:52 -0700

We are developing an embedded system which uses Java and X Windows. =20
It doesn't have a VGA.

When we run some code on a desktop with lots of ram and vga, we get=20
pretty good performance, but on our embedded system, performance is=20
poor.

There are several factors which may contribute to this problem:=20
swapping of the libraries or X Server itself, latency in the X=20
Server, processor speed, Java, the video driver, etc.  So maybe we=20
need more ram, or a faster video driver, or to lock X into ram, or=20
simply go to a faster clock.

My question is, how can we time stamp events, or get a trace of memory=20
and swap usage, or whatever necessary, to pin down where the problem=20
is?