[vox-tech] kernel headers

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:54:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Troy Arnold wrote:

> This is something which i feel i should already know by now but...
>
> This may also be distro-specific as almost all my experience is on RedHat or
> a derivitive.
>
> In <http://uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0007.3/0587.html>
> Linus says that /usr/include/linux,asm should *not* point to the headers
> for your running kernel, rather they should point to the headers that glibc
> was linked with.

Until about a year ago, I used to play the symlink game.  Then I read this
message, and haven't done it since.

> However, there's been more than one thing that has failed to build unless
> I symlink /usr/include/linux and asm to my kernel source tree.

If the directories weren't present, then you probably should have
installed the appropriate packages that put the correct versions of these
directories in place.  If they were present and you bypassed them, you
probably should have modified the makefile to reference the updated
directories explicitly.

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-kernel.html

> -troy (promises to play with debian soon...)

Don't promise us... promise yourself. :)

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing