[vox-tech] dhcp question

Ted Deppner vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 08:04:14 -0700

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 12:08:36AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
> > from reading the man page, it sounds like:
> >    pump -i eth0 -l 120   (for 120 hours)
>
> You might also want to install dhcp-client, the other alternative to
> pump.  Pump is a little sucky, but works most of the time.  Well, to
> be fair, it's always worked basically OK for me, but I hear complaints.

hear hear.  pump *is* sucky, but usually works.  dhcp-client (or dhclient)
is far more configurable and far more intelligent.

> > does this also configure DNS servers?   will it also take care of the
> > default gateway?
>
> If and only if the guy who configured the DHCP daemon correctly
> specified that information, yes.

using dhcp-client, you can either add-to, or replace with your own
settings almost any dhcp provided configuration value.

> > 1.  how does ifup know which dhcp client to use?   what if for some
> >    reason i *really* wanted to use pump?   or dhcpd?   how can i specify
> >    one or the other?
>
> Damned if I know.  I just tend to run them manually, when my laptop
> isn't on static IP for some reason.

Just install the one you want, uninstall the other, and don't worry about
it.  ;)

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/