[vox-tech] dhcp question

Rick Moen vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 00:08:36 -0700

> from reading the man page, it sounds like:
>
>    pump -i eth0
>
> or
>
>    pump -i eth0 -l 120   (for 120 hours)
>
> will get an IP assigned to a machine.  right?

Sounds right.

You might also want to install dhcp-client, the other alternative to
pump.  Pump is a little sucky, but works most of the time.  Well, to
be fair, it's always worked basically OK for me, but I hear complaints.

> does this also configure DNS servers?   will it also take care of the
> default gateway?

If and only if the guy who configured the DHCP daemon correctly
specified that information, yes.

> 1.  how does ifup know which dhcp client to use?   what if for some
>    reason i *really* wanted to use pump?   or dhcpd?   how can i specify
>    one or the other?

Damned if I know.  I just tend to run them manually, when my laptop
isn't on static IP for some reason.