[vox-tech] dhcp question

Jeff Newmiller vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 02:18:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

[...]

> rhonda has "AT&T BI" cable broadband which i guess ends in a 802.11b
> transmitter.  she'll be using this on a laptop; i assume she won't want
> the auto keyword since that would need to time out if she uses the
> laptop away from home.  (?)

Thats right.  May want to take a look at
/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz

[...]

> i know nothing about 802.11b.

I have been absorbing bits, but without hands-on that doesn't count for
much.  Sounds like its covered here though.

> i know nothing about dhcp.

s'cool, man.  read the dhcpd.conf manpage [1] to get a feel for the other
side of that connection, and the DHCP mini-howto [2] and you should be
pretty much ready to go.

> it's like giving tech support for 3 things which i know next to nothing
> about.  my only strength is that a) i know how to read  b) i know the
> url for google groups  c) i'm reasonably intelligent in other linux
> issues and d) i'm subscribed to vox-tech.

So that is "only" four strengths.  The world is your oyster, Hercules!

[1] http://www.tac.eu.org/cgi-bin/man-cgi?dhcpd.conf+5
[2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/DHCP/

                                      Live:   OO#.. Dead: OO#..  Playing