[vox-tech] dhcp question

Tue, 6 Aug 2002 01:49:21 -0700

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>
> On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>
> > two questions:
> >
> > 1.  how does ifup know which dhcp client to use?   what if for some
> >    reason i *really* wanted to use pump?   or dhcpd?   how can i specify
> >    one or the other?
>
> It uses what it finds.

kay.  i didn't see that in the man page (but it's late.  i only
skimmed).  need to get to bed.  i've been "sliding" into night owl mode
lately.  the problem is, i'm still waking up early.  bad combination.

> > 2. are all these options "really" optional?  could a valid "working"
> >    stanza be as simple as:
> >

> >       iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >

> >    and would "ifup eth0" do everything for me from this one line?
>
> Yes, absolutely, but you might also want an "auto eth0". :)

rhonda has "AT&T BI" cable broadband which i guess ends in a 802.11b
transmitter.  she'll be using this on a laptop; i assume she won't want
the auto keyword since that would need to time out if she uses the
laptop away from home.  (?)

she got a WC1100 wireless NIC which is based on the orinco chipset,
which was highly recommended by 2 people on the list.  it's quite
amazing -- not only does the corporate webpage have "linux" plastered
all over the place, it even offers email tech-support for linux issues.
if only other companies were as linux friendly as ambicom...

it kind of sucks -- i know very little about PCMCIA.  i threw "darts" at
my ethernet and scsi cards and they just "worked" after a kernel compile
and a package install.  but the whole PCMCIA card thing is still a
mystery to me.

i know nothing about 802.11b.

i know nothing about dhcp.

it's like giving tech support for 3 things which i know next to nothing
about.  my only strength is that a) i know how to read  b) i know the
url for google groups  c) i'm reasonably intelligent in other linux
issues and d) i'm subscribed to vox-tech.

:)

pete