[vox-tech] vgetty 'call screening'

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 23:13:35 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 1 Aug 2002, Ryan wrote:

> I've discovered to my delight that an ISA modem I pulled out of one of the
> junk computers my grandfather gave me a few weeks ago works very well with
> vgetty. I've been playing around with it, and would like to use it to set up
> a voice mail system, but I really don't want to give up call screening.
>
> Is there any way to make vgetty enable the speaker when it's recording? I
> looked about on google and google groups, but didn't find anything helpful.

My voicemail system is no longer in existence (it's no longer cost
effective to keep it around, especially with the power crisis) so I can't
remember if my modem did screening or not, but I think that capability
depends on the modem hardware.  If it supports the capability, I'd think
you can change the initialization AT string to enable it.

I'd think.

> Also, a search on google for google hits lugod's website about Mark's
> presentation ov vgetty 2 years ago, anyone have a copy of the presentation?

Has it been 2 years already?  There was just the talk outline:

   http://www.lugod.org/presentations/vgetty/

That's it.  No complex outlines or explanations; just the outline.
Probably nothing that can help you, unfortunately.

The link to the Sorrento Script is broken.  I can send it to you if you'd
like, but it needs updating and customization.

> The documentation for vgetty isn't very well orginized....

Unfortunately, that's true.  I figured out the configuration by reading
the comments in the config file and by trial & error.

There's a vgetty mailing list.  They can probably help you better. To
subscribe, e-mail mgetty-subscribe@crynwr.com

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim