[vox-tech] New Distrobutions Virus Alert

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:38:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Rusty Minden wrote:
> I have tested the new
> Mandrake 8.2 (Download Version)
> SuSE 8.0 Professional
> Debian SID (ftp download from ftp.Debian.org)
> They all have a problem with my Mother board. I get a virus detected
> alert and
> have to bypass it (if I dare) to get it to load. I first saw it with Sid and
> figured it was a bad download. Then with Mandrake I started to wonder, but
> with SuSE 8.0 I have to ask what are they doing different. I will have too
> disable the virus detection on the bios I suppose, but do I really want to do
> this? I have a FIC 1st Mainboard AZ11E with an Athlon 900 chip and 1 GB of
> SDRAM. Any suggestions?

Check your BIOS settings and look for an option about antivirus control.
These options often check for attempts top modify the MBR and sometimes
attempts to modify NVRAM. For installations of OS, you frequently need to
turn off this option. If you plan to run LILO on a steady basis, just turn
it off and leave it off. (Opinion.)

If  you go to and fro with windows/linux it is your call, but you should
probably disable it for the install and then enable it after Linux is ont
he disk.

> Rusty Minden CCNA :-)
               ^^^^
This makes you happy and excited. :-D

I bet you wonder how I can tell.
One of the following:
1) Used my excellent powers of ESP
2) Read your body language
3) use of Emoticons and an explicit e-mail message ;-)
4) it came to me in a dream

BTW, congrats!

-ME