[vox-tech] Debian X11 4.2 status...

Wed, 24 Apr 2002 23:37:12 -0700

begin msimons@moria.simons-clan.com <msimons@moria.simons-clan.com>
> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 03:27:54PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > unfortunately, afaics, debian sid still uses 4.1.0.  if anyone knows of
> > someone packaging a more recent X for debian, i'd like to know about it.
>
> For more explanation about 4.2 and debian see here...
>   http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200204/msg01343.html
>
>   I haven't read the thread but the most amazing line from the first email...
> # I'm sure that with half an hour of manpage reading, a reasonably
> # intelligent person can learn everything he needs to produce XFree86
> # 4.2 debs for himself that will work well enough

jeez.  i can't even package "defendguin" so that lintian doesn't
complain about SOMETHING.  i can only imagine packaging X.

however, i suspect it would be possible to download the latest X cvs and
use the debian/ directory from the debian package of X.

might be do-able.   huge undertaking though.  i'd say it would cost an
entire day.  maybe more.  that's probably one of the hardest things to
package.

pete