[vox-tech] Debian X11 4.2 status...

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 25 Apr 2002 02:25:34 -0400

On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 03:27:54PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> unfortunately, afaics, debian sid still uses 4.1.0.  if anyone knows of
> someone packaging a more recent X for debian, i'd like to know about it.

For more explanation about 4.2 and debian see here...
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200204/msg01343.html

  I haven't read the thread but the most amazing line from the first email...
# I'm sure that with half an hour of manpage reading, a reasonably
# intelligent person can learn everything he needs to produce XFree86
# 4.2 debs for himself that will work well enough

  I must be rock dumb... because I think he trimmed down things a bit,
if you have someone point you directly at which pages are relevant
and give you an overview it probably would only take a day to figure
the build system out and know it well enough that you don't need to
keep reading the documentation for step by step use.

  However there are a number of other hurdles required to package something
like X which is to find it's true source, learn how to build it in the first
place, and figure out how to configure for you own system.

  Maybe a after week a smart one could be transformed into a good for
export X.deb building fiend...

    TTFN,
      Mike