[vox-tech] not sure what to call it

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 14 Apr 2002 22:42:19 -0400

Patrick,

  DMA being the problem is very believable... the newer kernels default to
DMA on a while back that was off.  If the maxtor drive is not in the
blacklist for bad drives the kernel will try to use DMA mode which
the drive might not support.

- If you find that disabling DMA fixes the problem I would recommend
  trying to disable DMA on only the older second drive... and see if
  things still work.
    hdparm also comes with a test '-t' option which will do some
  read only tests, and can be used to find drives that don't support
  DMA... (basically if it works without DMA and you get errors with
  DMA the drive doesn't work).

  For what it's worth I'd also seen hard drives which when configured
to spin down after a period of activity which do not spin up again...
this particular problem locked windows 98, but Linux on the same
machine would reset the IDE bus when the drive didn't respond and that
would wake the drive back up.

- If turning DMA off doesn't work, I would look into APM and APCI,
  see what settings the Mandrake kernel uses... maybe the newest
  releases settings don't mix well with your hardware.

    Good Luck,
      Mike