[vox-tech] not sure what to call it

Samuel Merritt vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 13 Apr 2002 11:21:57 -0700

--5mCyUwZo2JvN/JJP

On Sat, Apr 13, 2002 at 01:49:04PM -0400, Patrick Stockton wrote:
> Oh now this is an interesting idea, and HDB does happen to be a Maxtor dr=
ive
> on the older side.  For as long as I've had this box HDB has been used as
> the linux partition used in a dual boot situation.  Now that i've got the
> laptop I put the system on HDA and on HDB I've got one large partition th=
at
> is mounted as /home
>=20
> I just ran a quick fdisk on hdb to see what it says and it gave me an
> interesting read out:
>=20
> Disk /dev/hdb: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 875 cylinders
> Units =3D cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
>=20
>    Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1   *         1       876   7034296+  83  Linux
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>      phys=3D(875, 186, 63) should be (875, 254, 63)
>=20
> I'm wondering what that exactly means...
>=20
> I looked for the /etc/sysconfig/harddisks but didn't find it.  Any other
> places I should look for DMA settings?  Possibly a jumper on the back?

They might have changed it in Mandrake 8.2; I'm running Mandrake 8.1.=20

Look at hdparm. If you put
/sbin/hdparm -d0 /dev/hdb
in a startup script, that will shut off DMA (-d0) on that drive.=20

That could explain the login failures - your shell tries to read its=20
=2E[shell]rc file in your home directory, and hangs.=20