[vox-tech] modifying mouse selection behavior under X

Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:59:15 -0700

begin nbs <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Tue, Apr 09, 2002 at 12:28:33PM -0700, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > is there a way to modify the selection behavior of the mouse under X?
>
> It depends on the terminal.  It'd be nice if it were some shared,
> system-wide preference (it probably is under KDE, knowing them :) )
>
> I'm not in front of KDE right now, but under Gnome-Terminal, in the
> 'Preferences' window, you can adjust the
> "Select-by-word characters" setting.

egads!  the first thing that makes me want to use a desktop manager.
prolly still won't make me take the cpu hog plunge tho.   ;)  i'm going
to look into mark's suggestion and if it doesn't pan out i'll experiment
with booting up gnome when not playing games.

> (Note, I had to type this by hand, because the fscking Gnome Help Browser
> doesn't let me highlight text to paste.  Argh!)

yuck.  that deserves a bug report.

> I can't find anything under xterm like this.
> There may be an X resource for it.
> (I don't seem to have a man page for xterm!  Bizarre!  This is Debian!)

really?  i have an xterm man page.  i think it might be symlinked to
x-terminal-emulator(1).   try manning that.

> And under rxvt, maybe I'm stupid, but I can't seem to pop any
> preference menus up like I can in xterm and gnome-terminal.

i don't think rxvt has one.

thanks for the info, bill!

pete