[vox-tech] modifying mouse selection behavior under X

Tue, 9 Apr 2002 13:07:12 -0700

begin Shawn P. Neugebauer <spn@ucdavis.edu>
> generally, selection behavior is application-specific.

hi shawn,

ahh.  this makes sense.

> for example, given
> "Z = 2.96688494e+05" in a Konsole, a double-click selects "2.96688494e";
> in a KDE compose window, a double-click selects "2.96688494e+05".
> it's unlikely you would be able to significantly modify this behavior in your
> applications-of-interest without substantial coding work.
>
> shawn.

that's a shame.  so much effort has gone into something like widget
attributes when the fact is, i don't really care what "skin" by browser
has or whether the title bar is burnt-siena or brushed-glowing-steel.
this would've been something of substantial value to me.   i'm in the
position of cut and pasting hundreds of numbers into a spread sheet and
double clicking would be easier than click, move mouse, release.

but i see what you mean -- it's the application that should determine
what a mouse click does, not the X server.

btw, what exactly is a KDE compose window?  is that like an xterm?  an
html editor?

pete