[vox-tech] Subdomain not getting shown

Steven Peck vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 22:20:46 -0800

Try an nslookup from your system.
Try an nslookup from his.

Where is the subdomain hosted (internal/external)?  That can also have
an effect.

Answer from outside.
nslookup farmball.diamondleague.com
*** UnKnown can't find farmball.diamondleague.com: Non-existent domain

nslookup diamondleague.com
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    diamondleague.com
Address:  216.167.108.177

Also, some other stuff.  Make sure he doesn't have a HOST file that has
a different ip.  If others can see it and he can't... Then check where
his DNS server is pointed to.  Is this subdomain interanal or external?

If the server he is pointed to is internal to him (NAT'd) and ecternal
to you, this will also happen.  You can't use internet names on NAT'd
port forwarded system that are internal to you without some tricks.

-sp

-----Original Message-----
From: vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org
[mailto:vox-tech-admin@lists.lugod.org] On Behalf Of Mark K. Kim
Sent: Wednesday, April 03, 2002 3:45 PM
To: vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Subdomain not getting shown

Hmmm... I'm getting a better picture, but we need some more information.

Where is the DNS server located relative to Alfonzo's computer and your
computer (at the office, at home, at a third remote location, etc.)?
What OS is it running?  Which DNS software is it running? Which script
did you run to modify the DNS records ("add the subdomain"...)?

Also, where is the webserver running (Alfonzo's computer, your computer,
some other computer)?  What webserver is running (Apache, IIS, etc.)?
Where is Alfonzo's computer physically located relative to the
webserver, and where is your computer relative to the webserver (at
home, at a remote location, at the office, etc.)?

The problem appears to be Alfonzo's computer having problem getting the
proper DNS records.  Sometimes it takes a few days for the DNS records
to propagate (travel to where Alfonzo's computer can see it), and the
farther he lives from where you changed the DNS records, the longer it
takes for his computer to see the changes.  Sometimes a misconfiguration
in the internet somewhere can make things worse.  In either case, if he
changes his DNS servers to the ones you're using then it should show if
it's the DNS server problem or not.

If it's any other problem, let us know the answers to the questions I've
asked above and maybe we can track down the problem.  If it's got
nothing to do with Apache or Linux, though, we probably couldn't help
you (though we do have some NT admins here, I think).  In either case, I
think I've reached the end of my knowledge here.

FYI, I can see farmball.diamondleague.org just fine :)

-Mark