[vox-tech] Subdomain not getting shown

Mark K. Kim vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 15:45:22 -0800 (PST)

Hmmm... I'm getting a better picture, but we need some more information.

Where is the DNS server located relative to Alfonzo's computer and your
computer (at the office, at home, at a third remote location, etc.)?
What OS is it running?  Which DNS software is it running? Which script did
you run to modify the DNS records ("add the subdomain"...)?

Also, where is the webserver running (Alfonzo's computer, your computer,
some other computer)?  What webserver is running (Apache, IIS, etc.)?
Where is Alfonzo's computer physically located relative to the webserver,
and where is your computer relative to the webserver (at home, at a
remote location, at the office, etc.)?

The problem appears to be Alfonzo's computer having problem getting the
proper DNS records.  Sometimes it takes a few days for the DNS records to
propagate (travel to where Alfonzo's computer can see it), and the farther
he lives from where you changed the DNS records, the longer it takes for
his computer to see the changes.  Sometimes a misconfiguration in the
internet somewhere can make things worse.  In either case, if he changes
his DNS servers to the ones you're using then it should show if it's the
DNS server problem or not.

If it's any other problem, let us know the answers to the questions I've
asked above and maybe we can track down the problem.  If it's got nothing
to do with Apache or Linux, though, we probably couldn't help you (though
we do have some NT admins here, I think).  In either case, I think I've
reached the end of my knowledge here.

FYI, I can see farmball.diamondleague.org just fine :)

-Mark