[vox-tech] X over lan is nice, but a pain starting up.

Ryan vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 4 Apr 2002 23:35:30 -0800

I now have a seecion script for gdm which runs:

exec /usr/bin/ssh -CAnq remote /etc/X11/xdm/Xsession IceWM

Which works fine. It also doesn't frighten my mom or brother away with a=20
command line. ;-)

This setup would make a nifty demo, someone could bring in an old 486/586=
 and=20
set it up as a dummy x termnial, hopefuly without a hard drive and show o=
ff=20
it running software over the ethernet at good speeds. Then unplug the cab=
le=20
and watch everything butthe mouse stop then start up again when it's plug=
ged=20
back in (just don't let ssh time out in the meantime).=20

On Thursday 04 April 2002 10:45 pm, you wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 11:01:49AM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> > Well, I've managed to setup an old pentium box as an x termnial, and =
> > like it very much. Tunneled over a compressed ssh connection, the lag=
 is
> > hardly noticable.
>
>   If you are on a LAN, just disable the compression and things should
> be faster.  If not you might want to try level 1 compression instead
> of 6 which is the default.

It's not really a problem at 6. I will try setting it to 1 in the login=20
script.

> > I can get a remote window manager by going in to gdm and seleting
> > failsafe xterm then running 'ssh -Cf foo blackbox' but this is annoyi=
ng.
> > Is there a way to automate this with gdm?
>
>   This is a theory that has not been tested or researched... it's
> possible that you have to do other things in the 'new' gnome world.

>   Edit your .xsession file to specify the series of commands you want
> run when you log in.  If you put some shell script that knows how to
> pop up a graphical prompt for your ssh password you should be able to
> even have a secured private key (without using ssh-agent).

I know it's not the most secure thing in the world, but it's convient and=
 my=20
private lan is behind a firewall.

I could also just stick the private keys on floppys or cds

If anyone knows how to get ssh-askpass to popup instead of asking for the=
=20
pass on a command line, i'd like to hear it.