[vox-tech] X over lan is nice, but a pain starting up.

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 01:45:16 -0500

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 11:01:49AM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> Well, I've managed to setup an old pentium box as an x termnial, and I like
> it very much. Tunneled over a compressed ssh connection, the lag is hardly
> noticable.

  If you are on a LAN, just disable the compression and things should
be faster.  If not you might want to try level 1 compression instead
of 6 which is the default.

> I can get a remote window manager by going in to gdm and seleting
> failsafe xterm then running 'ssh -Cf foo blackbox' but this is annoying. Is
> there a way to automate this with gdm?

  This is a theory that has not been tested or researched... it's
possible that you have to do other things in the 'new' gnome world.

  Edit your .xsession file to specify the series of commands you want
run when you log in.  If you put some shell script that knows how to
pop up a graphical prompt for your ssh password you should be able to
even have a secured private key (without using ssh-agent).