[vox-tech] How badly screwed am I?

Richard S. Crawford vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:22:37 -0800

In our corner of Dixon, the power goes out if someone looks at a power
line funny.  It happened earlier today, just a blink in the power.

I was away from my computer at the moment.  When I got back, I saw that
my computer had been forced to reboot.  The boot process had stalled,
though, with the following message:

CPU IS UNWORKABLE OR HAS CHANGED -- Please rescan now

(It's a dual-processor system)

I pressed F1 and was able to finish booting just fine.  The computer
runs both win2k and Linux without any change in performance from before,
and there is no sign that the computer is slower or not working or
anything.  What does this mean, and how do I fix it?  I am by no stretch
of the imagination a hardware guy; I can hook up a printer and install a
CD-ROM drive and a couple of memory chips if absolutely necessary, but I
much prefer not to mess with my computer's guts.

Any thoughts?  Prayers?

--
Sliante,
Richard S. Crawford