[vox-tech] Peters Kernal Update and a Few Questions

Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:30:18 -0800

begin: Roland Minden <rminden@Unilab.com> quote
> Thanks for the update Peter. Is there a known problem with the 2.4.10 Kernal
> in regards to ext3? I use SuSE and it comes with 2.4.10 and I have had some
> weird trouble with ext3. I would up reinstalling with reiserfs and the
> trouble has gone away.

yes, there's a VERY big problem with ext3 in 2.4.10...

ext3 wasn't in 2.4.10.    :-)

ok.  serously.   the ext3 authors begged linus not to put ext3 in the kernel
until 2.5 got released.  it just wasn't ready.  now that 2.5 is out, it was
placed in 2.4.16, since that got released after 2.5.

sidenote:
it's fascinating to me that ext3 is in 2.4.16 and not 2.5.0, since 2.5.0 is
supposed to be an exact byte-for-byte copy of 2.4.15 with the kernel version
bumped by one and 2.4.16 was released *after* 2.5.0.

if ext3 came with suse's version of the kernel, it means that suse took a
developer's kernel patch and applied it to a stable kernel.

jeez, i can see if you want to give your customers a cool feature like
enhanced video mode detection, but for something like a *filesystem* where
people keep their important data...    holy cow.

i've used developers patches, but only for things like when my KT266 chipset
didn't have a stable AGP driver.  but i'd certainly never use it for
something like a filesystem.

i'd suggest you upgrade directly to 2.4.16.  this is the first kernel with
officially stable ext3 support.  see if that helps.   i plan on using ext3,
but i'm going to wait until a new stable kernel comes out.

> I am having some trouble with my internet connection at home. I called for
> support and waited on hold for about 25 minutes (no joke I timed it). When I
> got hold of AT&T they asked what Operating system I had and as soon as I
> said Linux they took this whole we can't help you with anything attitude.
> They also said I should be using DHCP. So I tried to set it up to use DHCP
> and it would not work. I get connected using the static IP, but I am not
> able to get my usual connection speed. My connection speeds have been really
> crappy for about 3 weeks. I have a static IP and have checked it out as far
> as settings and it looks good. I thought it maybe be my cat5 cable so I
> replaced it and it made little difference. At work I use Windows NT with HP
> OpenView to trouble shoot our network connections. Is there anything like it
> I can use with Linux?

troubleshoot exactly what?  what sorts of things do they give info on?  i'd
eat my hat if you couldn't do the same thing on linux.

> I can ping successfully to yahoo.com. I can send and
> receive email (though very slowly). I am starting to babble now. Let me know
> what information to send or any advice on how to deal with AT&T. I thought
> about telling them I have Winblows, but I would rather not have to do that.

i'm sure it can be done, but i know literally nothing about DHCP.   i don't
even know what it stands for, although i can guess that D=dynamic and
P=protocol.   :-)   i'm sure there are people here who use DHCP.   anyone
help here?

pete

PGP Public Key:  finger p@dirac.org