[vox-tech] Peters Kernal Update and a Few Questions

Roland Minden vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 30 Nov 2001 14:01:25 -0800

Thanks for the update Peter. Is there a known problem with the 2.4.10 Kernal
in regards to ext3? I use SuSE and it comes with 2.4.10 and I have had some
weird trouble with ext3. I would up reinstalling with reiserfs and the
trouble has gone away.

I am having some trouble with my internet connection at home. I called for
support and waited on hold for about 25 minutes (no joke I timed it). When I
got hold of AT&T they asked what Operating system I had and as soon as I
said Linux they took this whole we can't help you with anything attitude.
They also said I should be using DHCP. So I tried to set it up to use DHCP
and it would not work. I get connected using the static IP, but I am not
able to get my usual connection speed. My connection speeds have been really
crappy for about 3 weeks. I have a static IP and have checked it out as far
as settings and it looks good. I thought it maybe be my cat5 cable so I
replaced it and it made little difference. At work I use Windows NT with HP
OpenView to trouble shoot our network connections. Is there anything like it
I can use with Linux? I can ping successfully to yahoo.com. I can send and
receive email (though very slowly). I am starting to babble now. Let me know
what information to send or any advice on how to deal with AT&T. I thought
about telling them I have Winblows, but I would rather not have to do that.

Rusty