[vox-tech] Quotas on RH7.2

Justin Howell vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:51:06 -0800

Sorry, forgot to mention that.  I did edit my fstab.  Added usrquota and
grpquota to my /home.

----- Original Message -----
From: "ME" <dugan@passwall.com>
To: <vox-tech@lists.lugod.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 6:06 PM
Subject: Re: [vox-tech] Quotas on RH7.2

> There is a quota how-to out there that walks you through this step byt
> step. However, one thing you did not mention (may have been left off on
> accident):
>
> Did you modify your /etc/fstab ?
> Locate the mountpoint/device that you are trying to enable quotas for in
> /etc/fstab.
> Locate your quota files to the root of the mount point for the related
> device that desires the quotas to be enabled.
> (For example, if /home is mapped to /dev/hda5 or the other way around,
> then look to that entry. if /home is not a separate partition/device, then
> locate the device that it is a member of (eg, if /home is not a separate
> device/mountpoint, your need to quota home would require use of locating
> and modifying the entry for "/" in the fstab.
>
> Once you have located the device/mount-point then add the following to the
> options/args:
> usrquota,grpquota
> here os an example for one I have used with just userquotas enabled:
>
> /dev/sda8  /home               ext2     defaults,rw,usrquota 0 2
>
> Once you have effected that change, you can try to enable quotas then you
> could try to restart your system and see if that works, or try this:
>
> # mount /home -o remount,rw
>
> There are things that are stated in the howto on risks with users using
> your system when quotas have not been checked and enabled.
>
> You may want to examine adding a script in you /etc/init.d that deal with
> enabliong quotas and checking your files for each user on each reboot
> before users are allowed to log in. this will significantly increase the
> time your machine takes to boot, but is one way to be more certain the
> information in your quotas db is accurate. (there are others.)
>
> For mine, it was simple as making my own script that included the
> following for startup:
> For a check when nobody is logged in:
> /sbin/quotacheck
> When I start up the quotas
> /sbin/quotaon
> When I turn off quotas
> /sbin/quotaoff
> For all that RPC stuff...
> /usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad
>
> I dont use RH, so they may have their own scripts installed when you add
> quota support.
>
> -ME
>
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2001, Justin Howell wrote:
> > Hey list,
> > I'm trying to turn on quotas and gosh darn it isn't working. I went
ahead and followed the steps I found online for recompiling the kernel to
make sure quotas were enabled, so as far as I can tell quotas are enabled in
the kernel, and I put the aquota.user and aquota.group files in the root of
the filesystem I want to quota (/home). I just touched them and chmod'ed
them to 600. So when I reboot the machine or run quotaon, it gives me the
following error:

> > quotaon: using /home/aquota.group on /dev/hda5: Invalid argument
> > quotaon: using /home/aquota.user on /dev/hda5: Invalid argument
> >
> > Now, the arguments I gave quotaon where just -avug, the usual ones.
Anyone run into a problem like this? I'm stumped.