[vox-tech] Quotas on RH7.2

ME vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 18:06:49 -0800 (PST)

There is a quota how-to out there that walks you through this step byt
step. However, one thing you did not mention (may have been left off on
accident):

Did you modify your /etc/fstab ?
Locate the mountpoint/device that you are trying to enable quotas for in
/etc/fstab.
Locate your quota files to the root of the mount point for the related
device that desires the quotas to be enabled.
(For example, if /home is mapped to /dev/hda5 or the other way around,
then look to that entry. if /home is not a separate partition/device, then
locate the device that it is a member of (eg, if /home is not a separate
device/mountpoint, your need to quota home would require use of locating
and modifying the entry for "/" in the fstab.

Once you have located the device/mount-point then add the following to the
options/args:
usrquota,grpquota
here os an example for one I have used with just userquotas enabled:

/dev/sda8  /home               ext2     defaults,rw,usrquota 0 2

Once you have effected that change, you can try to enable quotas then you
could try to restart your system and see if that works, or try this:

# mount /home -o remount,rw

There are things that are stated in the howto on risks with users using
your system when quotas have not been checked and enabled.

You may want to examine adding a script in you /etc/init.d that deal with
enabliong quotas and checking your files for each user on each reboot
before users are allowed to log in. this will significantly increase the
time your machine takes to boot, but is one way to be more certain the
information in your quotas db is accurate. (there are others.)

For mine, it was simple as making my own script that included the
following for startup:
For a check when nobody is logged in:
/sbin/quotacheck
When I start up the quotas
/sbin/quotaon
When I turn off quotas
/sbin/quotaoff
For all that RPC stuff...
/usr/sbin/rpc.rquotad

I dont use RH, so they may have their own scripts installed when you add
quota support.

-ME