[vox-tech] Re: [vox] I'm Trying to Love Linux...

Robert G. Scofield vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 13:33:26 -0800

On Tuesday 27 November 2001 12:21 pm, you wrote:

> nah.  i've heard nothing but good things about wp.  except for the
> installation.   i seem to recall bob scofield mentioning he installed wp.
> i'm hoping he'd jump in and have something helpful to say.
>
> pete

Okay, Pete.

I am really sad about the state of Corel and WordPerfect.  WordPerfect is the
best wordprocessor ever made.  Lately, I've had to help my son with Microsoft
Word and I can't believe how primitive it is.  It seems about a decade behind
WordPerfect.

Here's the sad part.  WordPerfect 8 is a native Linux program and is just
great.  But Rod has pointed out that it is having a hard time with the recent
Linux distros.

That leaves the $150 investment in the 2000 Suite.  The problem here is first
that it won't install on a lot of distros without you having to download a
script.  The script was found at www.corel.linux.support....(I think
script.html comes next).  But I'm not sure that www.corel.linux exists
anymore.  When you go to Corel and click on a Linux link you get sent over to
Xandros or whoever it is that Corel has assigned its Linux stuff to.  I don't
know if you can find that script at the new web site, but you might try.  Or
you could contact Xandros and ask them how to get the script.

Okay, here's the other problem.  The WordPerfect 2000 Suite is not a native
Linux program like WordPerfect8.  It's based on Wine.  Therefore it's buggy.
One Lugod member once stated that he took it off of his system.  I saw a
recent Linux book in a bookstore saying that they were originally planning
to do a chapter on WordPerfect 9, but wrote about WordPerfect 8 instead
because of the stability issues.

I have to use WordPerfect in my work and a few days ago purchased WordPerfect
10 for Windows.  While I can use the 2000 Suite on the Linux side of this
machine, I am planning on using Star Office in the future.  WordPerfect is
way way better, but I don't think that anything is happening right now for
WordPerfect in the Linux realm.

Xandros (or whatever it is called) will be taking Corel Linux and releasing
its own distro.  I hope that they can get WordPerfect running.  We'll have to
wait and see.

Bob