DEVFS and Redhat 7.2 (was Re: [vox-tech] Urgent - Problem in upgradation of RH 7.1 to RH 7. 2 !!)

Rod Roark vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:33:56 -0800

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 12:23:32 -0800 (PST)
"R. Douglas Barbieri" <doug@dooglio.net> wrote:
> I must admit that I'm in the dark as to the need for a boot image at
> all--what are the advantages? Why do we need it? On my RH7.1 system I have
> the image disabled (this is why I never ran into the DEVFS problem
> before). In fact, I can run my RH7.2 system just fine with the "initrd="
> line in /etc/lilo.conf remarked off. EXT3 and DEVFS seem to be happy in
> both instances.

Initrd is needed when one or more kernel features required for bootup
exist only as modules.  It makes life easier for the distribution vendor.
You can always avoid the need for it by compiling a custom kernel.

Cheers,

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/