Debian packaging (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE recomendations)

Ted Deppner vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Wed, 26 Dec 2001 19:17:45 -0800

On Wed, Dec 26, 2001 at 04:16:38PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > I would like to see that, particularly if it was presented in
> > stages.  Like, I want to build a "hello world" .deb and what is
> > involved?  What happens when I decide to use ncurses to print my
> > message?  What happens if I want to package someone elses program that has
> > lots of #define configuration macros?  What happens when the version of
> > ncurses increments?  What happens when my own program version increments?
>
> cd /usr/share/doc/debian/maint-guide.html
> lynx index.html

Also check out developers-reference...  lotsa good info

> when the upstream author of ncurses releases a new version, you bump the
> upstream version number.  if you just want to modify your packaging of
> the app, you bump your debian internal number.

This is true for the maintainer, but will lead to problems if I make a
local specific copy... in that case you'd add a .90 to the debian release
number.  (.1 on up is reserved for Non Maintainer Updates, but there will
probably never be 89 NMU's, so I use .90 for local packages).

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/