Debian packaging (was Re: [vox-tech] IDE recomendations)

Wed, 26 Dec 2001 16:16:38 -0800

begin Jeff Newmiller <jdnewmil@dcn.davis.ca.us>
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Ted Deppner wrote:
>
> > I think a talk on the debian packaging system would be good too.  It's an
> > IDE (non graphical of course - perhaps an iDE then).  This would probably
> > take a whole session though.
> >
> > Things like building kernels, taking packages from unstable and building
> > them for stable, etc.
> >
> > Is there any interest in this?
>
> I would like to see that, particularly if it was presented in
> stages.  Like, I want to build a "hello world" .deb and what is
> involved?  What happens when I decide to use ncurses to print my
> message?  What happens if I want to package someone elses program that has
> lots of #define configuration macros?  What happens when the version of
> ncurses increments?  What happens when my own program version increments?

cd /usr/share/doc/debian/maint-guide.html
lynx index.html

it's all there.

but quickly:
you don't pick the interface.  the person who is installing your package
  picks the interface.  the standard interface is "dialog" which is
  ncurses like.

#defines are fine.

debian version numbers are of the form:

  ii  libncurses5   5.2.20010318-3 Shared libraries for terminal handling
                      ^          ^
                      |          |
             upstream author     debian packager number
				 number

when the upstream author of ncurses releases a new version, you bump the
upstream version number.  if you just want to modify your packaging of
the app, you bump your debian internal number.

there's actually a very strict standard by which version numbers are
developed.  it's outlined in the maint.guide.

i've played around with this stuff.  if you have any other questions, i
can try to answer.

pete