[vox-tech] Urgent - Problem in upgradation of RH 7.1 to RH 7.2 !!

Henry House vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 24 Dec 2001 11:07:03 -0800

--eJnRUKwClWJh1Khz

Viswanath:

Please download tomsrtbt from http://www.toms.net/rb/. This is a rescue
floppy that is more capable that the Red Hat rescue floppy. Follow the
instructions to copy the rescue system to a floppy. Boot the machine from
this floppy. Then examine the partitions on the hard drive to see if they a=
re
intact. If they are, copy your data and any customised config files in /etc
to a backup. You should then re-install. (I know that's drastic and probably
unnecessary, but it is a better use of your time than manually fixing a bad=
ly
broken system.)

My feeling is that when you aborted the upgrade the system was left
in a half-installed and un-bootable state.

(By the way, it is generally not a good idea to solve problems by re-bootin=
g.
There are generally other ways, e.g, you can probably tell the installer to
skip the problematic package. Re-boot only as a ltast resort.)

On Mon, Dec 24, 2001 at 10:20:22AM -0800, Viswanath P wrote:
>=20
> Hi,
>=20
>     Forgot to mention something.  The lilo boot
> now had returned LI=20
>=20
> and not the full LILO.
>=20
> What error this LI points to?

It means that LILO is broken for any number of reasons.

--=20
Henry House
The attached file is a digital signature. See <http://romana.hajhouse.org/p=
gp>