[vox-tech] Lucent Venus modem worked for about 1/2 hour then stopped working

vox-tech@lists.lugod.org vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 03:00:22 -0800 (PST)

I purchased a Lectron I56LVP-F3 modem today at Frys electronics and
installed it in my computer which dual-boots Mandrake 8.1 and Windows
2000. For about 1/2 hour after installing the modem, I was able to
successfully connect to the internet using this modem, and HardDrake would
cooperate with the modem. As I was experimenting with various different
utilities to initiate a PPP connection to my provider, at some point the
modem suddenly stopped working and HardDrake started to believe it was a
winmodem. I reinstalled Mandrake 8.1 (for lack of any better idea what to
do) to no avail. Mandrake still thinks my Venus modem is a winmodem.

I did not have to perform the setserial command to make the modem work
correctly, (harddrake got that right automatically when the modem was
working, and it still seems to be getting it right) and I did not have to
install any drivers to get it to work for that 1/2 hour. But it doesn't
work anymore, even after a reinstall of the system.

Any ideas how to make it work?