[vox-tech] exim / rbl question. a mystery.

Ted Deppner vox-tech@lists.lugod.org
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 10:02:37 -0800

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 09:43:05AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i'm looking into orbz and ordb right now.  i can't tell what the difference
> between them is (although i'm doin some reading right now).  orbl still seems
> to be down.

while they both primarly try to detect open relays, there are some major
difference with how they approach the task.

ordb is a good service with well defined ways to get listed and unlisted.

orbz is similar to orbs, where they do many active scans of systems that
have never been open relay (those admins sometimes call it an attack).
the orbz admins seem to be more hot-headed than responsible -- which is
unfortunate given the nature of a blocking service.  (you can see heated
debates on the qmail archives if you care to)

I feel comforatable running ORDB in a corporate environment.  I wouldn't
feel comfortable running ORBZ even for my home.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/