[vox-tech] exim / rbl question. a mystery.

Thu, 13 Dec 2001 23:32:02 -0800

dear lugod,

when i installed debian and configured exim, i was under the impression that
exim was configured to reject any email from an IP address listed in the maps
rbl database.

this evening i was reading the map-rbl site, and came across:

	Testing Your RBLSM Configuration
	Russell Nelson has put together an auto-responder that you may use to test
	your RBLSM implementation.  His instructions are:

	Send mail to nelson-rbl-test@crynwr.com from the server whose RBLSM block
	you are testing.  Expect one reply from ns.crynwr.com with the SMTP
	conversation.  If you get another reply from linux.crynwr.com, your RBLSM
	filter is broken.

i followed the instructions and apparently, i'm still getting mail from
blacklisted addresses -- the 2nd email from linux.crynwr.com arrived.

next, i looked at exim.conf:

	# Exim contains support for the Realtime Blocking List (RBL) that is being
	# maintained as part of the DNS. See http://maps.vix.com/rbl/ for
	# background. Uncommenting the following line will make Exim reject mail
	# from any host whose IP address is blacklisted in the RBL at maps.vix.com.

	rbl_domains = rbl.maps.vix.com
	rbl_reject_recipients = true
	rbl_warn_header = false

this looks good to me.  can someone guess why i'm still getting email that
should be rejected by the rbl database?

thanks!
pete

--