[vox-outreach] Upcoming volunteer opportunities

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Wed Jul 23 14:32:12 PDT 2008

Here are a few opportunities that LUGOD members can volunteer to help
out with!

LinuxWorld Expo:
----------------
As mentioned recently on 'vox', there will once again be a
Linux User Group (LUG) booth in the ".org Pavillion" at this year's
LinuxWorld Conference & Expo in San Francisco (August 4th-7th).

If you'd like to help staff a LUG booth (and represent LUGOD), please
contact Jim Stockford of SF-LUG, at: jim at well.com

The LUG booth listing is at:
http://linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/ehall//SN991736/exhibitorinfo//QMONYB00FBZA

And the general link to LWE is:  http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/

Picn*x XVII:
------------
Following LinuxWorld each year, various LUGs and other orgs, with help
from various companies, put together a free picnic & BBQ in Sunnyvale
to celebrate the Linux kernel's birthday.

You can learn more about the event, RSVP for it, and learn how you can
help volunteer at:  http://www.linuxpicnic.org/

Software Freedom Day:
---------------------
Each year organizations all around the globe participate in a celebration
of Free and Open Source Software, and educate their communities on the
benefits of such software freedom.

More about this event, and a Wiki, are at: http://softwarefreedomday.org/

In recent years LUGOD has held a hands-on Linux demo at the
Davis Farmer's Market (in the morning at Central Park in downtown Davis).
See:  http://www.lugod.org/projects/demo/
And:  http://www.lugod.org/sfd/

Please post a note here, or send me a private email, if you'd like to help
volunteer for our participation in this global event (including helping
coordinate it!)

In the meantime, I'm going to register LUGOD as a participating organization
for this year.  We missed out on getting free discs, but I'm going to
sign up with Ubuntu and try to get some sent to us via their ShipIt program.

We might want to have people burn CDs of software other than Ubuntu,
such as The Open Source Software CD, TheOpenCD and FreeSMUG.
Please let us know if you can help with this!  (We can supply discs and
Lee Welter just donated a large number of jewel cases!)

Thanks,