[vox-outreach] LUGOD is signed up for Child Development Conferencein April; volunteers needed!

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Apr 24 09:51:56 PDT 2008

Jess wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Bill Kendrick <nbs at sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>  > I'm going to guess that the
>>  > multi-platform Open Source Software CD is going to be the most useful
>>  > option, assuming it contains educational software. Is the ISO
>>  > downloadable, or can I pick up a copy from one of you this evening?
>>
>>  I haven't seen any.  I'm out of town until late tonight, and won't have
>>  time to burn something.  Anyone else here able to burn something that
>>  Jessica can duplicate for us?  If not, I guess... can you download the
>>  ISO yourself?  :)
>
> If someone points me at an ISO, I can certainly download it. :) That's
> easier than trying to pick one up. I thought LUGOD had a similar disc
> we were distributing, but I guess not (and it would probably be
> hopelessly out of date at this point).
>
> If someone wants to put together such an ISO, I'll be happy to burn
> copies of it. If not, I'll maybe do something myself tonight or
> tomorrow, but no promises on that. I'll burn more edubuntu
> live/install discs if that doesn't happen.
>
> Jessica

Typically in the past we had been handing out TheOpenCD which has some
edu software on it, although tuxpaint seems to come and go.

Here's my research on the issue in general from a few months ago.
F Suite CD - Mac(Intel & PPC versions) FOSS - www.freesumg.org - 0709
The Open CD - Win - FOSS - http://theopencd.org/ - 0709
Software for Starving Students - Mac & Win - Free(OSS and Freeware) -
http://softwarefor.org/ - 0709
OSSWIN - Win - FOSS -http://www.ttcsweb.org/osswin-cd/ -ver1.8  on 0709
Open Source Free CD - Win/Bootable Slax LiveCD -Free(OSS and Freeware)-
http://www.opensourcefreecd.org/ -4PointZero

I haven't looked at it for a few months though, if one of those looks
good for this audience let us know and we can focus on that.

Alex