[vox-outreach] CD Burning

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Apr 18 19:58:51 PDT 2007

Alex Mandel wrote:
> Harold Lee wrote:
>> I can burn some CDs. I'll get started with 25 copies of Knoppix 5.1.1
>> unless people object then check back.
>>
>> -Harold
>
> Hold up on that, I think I still have a stack from September. Just need
> a few minutes to look around for where I put them.
>
> Alex

We need to think this out, last time we ended up with a huge stack of
CDs we didn't give out.

Here's my current inventory of "Fancy" labeled discs from last time that
I think we can still use.(I might have more and I'll keep looking, I
know others took some home last time too)

4x Knoppix 5.0.1
2x Helix 1.7
5x The OpenCD TheOpenCDv3.1 5.10 "Breezy Badger" -
1x FreeSMUG (Open Source for Mac OS)

Ok I think we should replace the OpenCD copies with the new version, but
I don't see why we can't use the others.

Now as for how many, based on how many we gave away at Free Software
Day, not too many. Personally as much as I like and use Knoppix, I think
the OpenCD may be more beneficial for a live disc since they get
OpenSource software out of it even if they don't switch. Then we can go
with a standard U/K/E/Xubuntu for a Live/Installable for those who might
actually install.
Throw in a couple of Helix discs, maybe some of those PC Linux from last
time.

My Recommendations - 50 disc total
15 OpenCD
10 Knoppix
5 Helix
5 FreeSmug
10 Ubuntu Flavor
5 PC Linux

Now maybe someone could chip in from past WEFs with how popular the
handouts are, but keep in mind the "zero waste" principles of the event.

What do people think?
Alex