[vox-outreach] [demo][farmer market] OpenCD Copies

Jim George evesautomotive at charter.net
Sun Sep 10 19:31:10 PDT 2006

On Sunday 10 September 2006 02:59 pm, Alex Mandel wrote:
> For the upcoming Free Software Day tabling at the Farmer's Market I was
> preparing some CDs for distribution.
> This email is so we can try to coordinate/distribute the burning effort:
>
> What to Burn| Platform| How Many| % |Link:
> OpenCD v3.1     x86       ?      50% http://www.theopencd.org/download
> FreeSmug   Mac PPC/Intel  ?      20%  http://www.freesmug.org/fscd/
> KubuntuLive6.06 x86       ?      20% http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php
> KubuntuLive6.06 PPC       ?      10% http://www.kubuntu.org/download.php
> Knoppix                   ?       ?  http://www.knoppix.org/
>
> So the estimates here make it easy to divide up 10 discs into
> 5,2,2,1 respectively.
> The Live x86 number may seem a little low but that's because the OpenCD
> has a Live Ubuntu 5.10 on it.
>
> Let me know what you guys think, who can burn how many and how many
> total we should burn.
> I'm offering to burn 10 discs for sure.
> I've got torrents running on all of these right now, so I'll start
> burning tonight.

We (me and Tim) have a total of 30 knoppix 5 cd's.

I have d/l iso of theopencd, burned and tested.  Stable.  Dig this...it's also
a live ubuntu cd!!!  This is sooo bitchin.  I will burn 25 on QUALITY cd's
(last time I did this they were cheap cd's and caused people's pcs to lock
up!).

How bout some freesmug cd?  Never heard of them but would like to see it.  Is
it a live cd?

Didn't we receive some Kubuntu/ubuntu cd's that were shipped?

One very important thing.  Lugod member Tim Riley  and I found that booting a
knoppix cd into a system that has wifi will cause it to crash.  Not only did
it do this to my custom pc but my daghters dell as well.  I have googled and
found that this is a known problem.  Some sites state that boot option
knoppix failsafe will eliviate this but it doesn't.  I also tried knoppix
noapm nodhcp acpi=off  and that almost worked but it failed to load agp pkg
for eth1 (my wifi).  Need a solution.

I have a couple of other live disks as well like mepis, kate, and something
else that has escaped my memory for the time being.

Give me some feedback as to what I should do/burn/whathaveyou.

I still need literature, table(s), chairs, and other cd's that are now
available.  I believe Ryan has table and chairs.  Bill correct me if I am
wrong.  Does he also have literature or does that need to be printed as well?
I will email him directly and ask if I can set up a pick up time.

Jim