[vox-outreach] theopencd

Sat, 8 May 2004 12:08:24 -0700

On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 10:29:12PM -0500, Rob Rogers wrote:

> This reminds me, there was some talk of making labels for the CDs a
> while back. Does anyone know what came of that? It'd be nice to have
> something that looks a little nicer than "GnuWin II" written in black
> ink on a blank disc.

Well, I initially thought we'd only be doing CheapBytes discs, so I didn't
dig into labelling much.  Sorry :(

<snip>
> (I don't mean any of this to sound like help isn't welcome...just trying
> to direct help into the most benificial direction.) I believe we've
> already got some (300?) professionally made Knoppix discs.

500 actually!

> I'm not positive they've got them for WEF,
> but I'm pretty sure they'll be there
> by GTC (I haven't heard much on this lately.)

Will arrive by WEF, I believe Henry said!
(e.g., today I guess!)

> Also, I don't think they
> wouldn't be appreciated, but we should probably keep consistent with the
> CDs we're giving out. I know we've already got quite a few GnuWinII CDs,
> and throwing TheOpenCD into the mix might just be confusing. I know last
> year at GTC we had a laminated list of what was included on GnuWin that
> we could point people to.

Actually, it was just color-printed on a nice photo-stock sheet of paper.
We still have those, though they're a /little/ beat up now.
(Those == 1 for Knoppix, 1 for GNUWin)

I believe Emily Stumpf has both of them in the big LUGOD box.
I'll see that we get them here at my house, for you to pick up on Sunday.

> I'd also double check that you've got the latest version of what you
> plan to burn. I've been (and others as well) burning GnuWin 2.3beta. It
> looks like Knoppix is also at version 3.4 now.
>
> As far as whether they will fit on a CD, you've gotta remember that 1MB
> = 1024KB. So that gnuwin 2.2 iso at 717,458KB is only 700.64MB
>
> P.S. I've nearly got 50 GnuWin CDs ready to bring to WEF tomorrow. I'll
> have another 50 by setup time for GTC.

Cool, thanks Rob!

-bill!