[vox-outreach] Davis Homeless Shelter

Trevor M. Lango vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 22:09:34 -0700

Sorry I did not reply earlier but I was on a technology/electronic free
vacation at the beach! :-)

Bill Kendrick wrote:
| I overheard someone commenting that the Pentium II kiosk we recently
set up
| for Chamonix Coffee is way better than the computers they have set up at
| the Davis Homeless Shelter (which is located on H Street), where they
| volunteer.
|
| I don't know all of the details, but it sounds like they have about
| 2 computers for doing managerial stuff (e.g., case management, etc.)
| and 1 public computer for people to write resumes, play games, and so
forth.
| (Apparently, it's not connected to the Internet, though; they wish it
were,
| so people could search for jobs and other useful info!)
|
| I thought this would be ripe for some volunteer help from us LUGOD'ians,
| so I gave a card to the girl, who will pass it on to her boss.
|

| I'm guessing a Pentium 2 or 3 level PC running OpenOffice.org and
Konqueror or
| Mozilla would be sufficient for almost all of their needs.  It would take
| a little more work than just setting up a PC with Linux on it, though,
| since they'll need to move their existing data (sounds like it's in Excel)
| over, and, of course, learn how to use the software.
|

| If I get a positive response from the Shelter, is there anyone out here
| willing to:

So... what response? Are they interested?

|   * Coordinate this project   [I would, but I'm leaving town in a few
weeks!]

I'd consider it.

|   * Donate PC hardware  [sounds like new monitors might be called for,
too!]

I don't have monitors, but I have miscellaneous other hardware.

|   * Help set up the managerial-related systems

Sure.

|   * Help migrate the managerial-related data to the new systems

Hmm... okay.

|   * Help set up and lock down a kiosk

Sure (but I might need a little assistance/direction in this area).

| ???
|

| Thanks!
|
| -bill!
| bill@newbreedsoftware.com | Milhouse, you ready to imitate that