[vox-outreach] Davis Homeless Shelter

Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:12:35 -0700

I overheard someone commenting that the Pentium II kiosk we recently set up
for Chamonix Coffee is way better than the computers they have set up at
the Davis Homeless Shelter (which is located on H Street), where they
volunteer.

I don't know all of the details, but it sounds like they have about
2 computers for doing managerial stuff (e.g., case management, etc.)
and 1 public computer for people to write resumes, play games, and so forth.
(Apparently, it's not connected to the Internet, though; they wish it were,
so people could search for jobs and other useful info!)

I thought this would be ripe for some volunteer help from us LUGOD'ians,
so I gave a card to the girl, who will pass it on to her boss.

I'm guessing a Pentium 2 or 3 level PC running OpenOffice.org and Konqueror or
Mozilla would be sufficient for almost all of their needs.  It would take
a little more work than just setting up a PC with Linux on it, though,
since they'll need to move their existing data (sounds like it's in Excel)
over, and, of course, learn how to use the software.

If I get a positive response from the Shelter, is there anyone out here
willing to:

  * Coordinate this project   [I would, but I'm leaving town in a few weeks!]
  * Donate PC hardware  [sounds like new monitors might be called for, too!]
  * Help set up the managerial-related systems
  * Help migrate the managerial-related data to the new systems
  * Help set up and lock down a kiosk

???

Thanks!

-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com | Milhouse, you ready to imitate that Jackass show?
newbreedsoftware.com/bill | All those disclaimers made me want to do it more!