[Vox-Outreach] Need more CD burns!

Jonathan Stickel vox-outreach@lists.lugod.org
Mon, 12 May 2003 14:02:41 -0700

I burned a few Knoppix and GNUWinII CDs for a recent event.  I found
that if my CD record program told me it wrote OK, then I could mount,
read a couple html files, and umount without any trouble on any _CDR_
drive (this was my test).  However, they did not work on some older
CDROM drives.  Some of these problem CDROM drives would read the CDRs,
but _very_ slowly and with lots of noise; others wouldn't read them at all.

So a word of caution:  if someone's machine has an old CDROM drive as
their primary CD device (the one that is in the BIOS boot sequence),
they may NOT be able to use KNOPPIX at all.

Well, those are my non-technical observations.

Jonathan

btw:  I wish I had time to burn a few more for the GTC event, but I am
experiencing technical difficulties with my home desktop and have
limited time to fix it.  Maybe next time.