[Vox-Outreach] Draft GTC letter to Department of General Services officers

Fri, 2 May 2003 22:50:35 -0700

I was thinking of sending this one-page letter, along with a full-color copy
of the groovy "LUGOD @ GTC" flyer [ http://www.lugod.org/documents/flyers/ ]
to the following agencies:

  Department of General Services

    * Main office
    * Telecommunications Division
    * Statewide eGovernment Initiatives Office
    * Office of Legislation

I'd be more than happy to donate a few more print-outs, envelopes and stamps
if someone can think of other offices to contact directly about this.

What follows is the text-only version of the letter.  Let me know what
you think.  I'd like to mail out the first batch (to the above addresses)
by tomorrow (Saturday)...

William Kendrick
Public Relations Officer
Linux Users' Group of Davis
PO Box 837
Davis, CA 95617

Department of General Services
PO Box 989052
West Sacramento, CA 95798

May 3, 2003

To Whom It May Concern,

The Linux Users' Group of Davis is pleased to announce that we will be
participating in this year's Government Technology Conference: "GTC West 2003."

Our organization, one of three in the Sacramento area, is a non-profit computer
user group focused around the Linux computer operating system and the
Open Source software movement.

LUGOD is a 501(c)7 non-profit which formed in January 1999, and has attracted
a large and diverse membership.  Our interests range from physics and
bioinformatics, to databases and telecommunication, to computer video games
and poetry.

Volunteers from our group will be staffing a booth at the Conference, which
takes place from May 14th through May 16th at the Sacramento Convention Center,
1400 J Street in Sacramento.

If you, or someone from your department, will be attending this event, I
encourage you to come by our booth to learn more about the benefits of
Open Source software.  We will be demonstrating Linux on various computers,
as well as answering visitors' questions.

We'll also be passing out free software CDROMs, including copies of "Knoppix,"
a no-commitment version of the Linux operating system that runs directly off
the CD, without installing itself on the hard disk.

If you cannot make it, please feel free to join us at one of our regular
meetings.  They take place at the Davis Library, 315 East 14th Street in
Davis on the first Tuesday and third Monday of each month.

Some of our past guest speakers have included Oracle, Netscape Communications,
Linux Journal Magazine, Hewlett-Packard, Borland Software, Cisco Systems, and
Lawrence Berkeley Labs.  Our upcoming meetings will welcome guests from
IBM Corp., Zultys Technology, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

Visit our website for more information:

	http://www.lugod.org/

If you have any questions, please contact me:

	Bill Kendrick
	(530) 759-1019
	pr@lugod.org

Enclosure:  Flyer for LUGOD's booth at GTC West 2003.

Sound good?

Thx,

-bill!