[vox-jobs] [fwd] Google.com Engineering - Unix(Linux)
Administrators -Mountain View, CA
nbs at sonic.net
Wed Aug 8 11:02:00 PDT 2007
Seen on SVLUG's jobs list:
From: Sandeep Sood
Sent: Wed 8/8/2007 10:51 AM
Subject: Google.com Engineering - Unix(Linux) Administrators -Mountain View, CA
Unix System/Applications Administrator, Google.com
* ...a seasoned Unix jockey, database wizard, performance specialist,
networking guru, and code slinger all rolled into one?
* ...looking for the next cool problem to solve, in a fast-paced and
* ...into writing scripts which perform practically the entire job you once
held earlier in your career?
* ...entertained in your off hours by taking things apart just to see how
they work? Are you successful putting them back together when you're done?
* ...excited by the idea of making Google even faster, more reliable, more
available, more - well, Googly?
If you answered "Yes" to more than three of the above questions, you may be
our kind of System Admin! Keep reading.
Google.com team members are involved in every facet of Google's production
site. From design issues to troubleshooting, from performance analysis to
capacity planning, from DNS to networking to application [mis]behavior,
Google.com engineers are ultimately responsible for making sure that Google
always works. We take that responsibility very seriously, but if you think
you've got what it takes then we're eager to talk with you.
Working in the Google.com team, you will wear many hats for Google's entire
production site: first responder, performance analyst, service architect,
system/database administrator, capacity planner, tools developer, monitoring
expert, and technical evangelist.
In this role you will need:
* Expertise in UNIX system administration, including configuration,
troubleshooting, and automation.
* Fluency in at least one scripting/coding language.
* Experience running high-traffic web services, including requirements and
capacity analysis, service configuration, monitoring and troubleshooting,
and change management.
* Strong understanding of IP networking, including familiarity with the
functionality, operating, and failure modes of common networking devices,
and the ability to analyze network behavior, performance and application
issues using standard tools like tcpdump.
* BA/BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience.
* 3 - 5 years experience with UNIX systems administration (5-15 years for
* Solid scripting skills in Shell, PHP, Perl or Python.
* Proven technical troubleshooting and performance tuning experience.
* Experience in a high-volume or critical production service environment.
* Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band requests.
* Tack-sharp analytical abilities.
* A strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
* Fluent written communication and unusual verbal agility are strong assets.
* SQL experience a plus, MySQL a plus.
* Experience leading short projects involving outside teams is a plus.
Engineering Talent Scout
Google Inc. | 1600 Amphitheatre Pkwy | Mountain View, CA 94043
650.214.4646 - desk | 408.391.5051 - cell
sansoo at google.com | sansoo at gmail.com
^ Join my professional network on: http://www.linkedin.com/in/sansoo
----- End forwarded message -----
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
More information about the vox-jobs