[vox-if] Re: May Installfest on Sat the 19th

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon May 21 15:52:54 PDT 2007

>That's great to hear.  I had a suspicion that Ubuntu was capable of
>this, and I think I've heard of it being done, but I had not tried it
>myself so I intentionally omitted it from the list because I qualified
>the list with "easy" I think.  But your endorsement is good enough,
>thanks.  I'll see if I can find time to do it in the million things I
>have going on and so I can actually be an informed speaker next time it
>comes up. :-)
>
>~chris.
>
>Bill Kendrick wrote:
>> On Mon, May 21, 2007 at 12:33:41PM -0700, Christopher James McKenzie wrote:
>>> It sounds like you have a network, which is good.  I can think of a few
>>> unix like systems out there that will allow you to do a network install
>>> if you can easily get out to the net.  THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION but
>>> simply a list of OS's that are currently active that I can think of
>>> offhand that have straight forward net installs.
>>
>> I installed Ubuntu Edgy on Melissa's Thinkpad X41 tablet PC
>> (no internal CD drive, didn't come with an external one).  Setting it up
>> was a cinche, FWIW.

It turns out that I did a web install with that server too (Ubuntu Feisty), all I needed was the 8MB CD ISO(since my cd drive was flaky), which from what I've read can also be put on a thumb drive and booted. Not sure about floppy though.
Everything else came from the www, no need for a local netinstall server.

Alex