[vox-if] Re: IF Linux discs

Christopher James McKenzie mckenzie at cs.ucdavis.edu
Fri Mar 30 11:21:31 PDT 2007

Replies below:

Christopher James McKenzie wrote:
> If you have the time, burn the modern distros on CD-Rs for tomorrow.
> I'll try to get a full FC 6 but if you could help, that would be great.
>  We also need x64 distros eventually. Thanks
>
> ~chris.

Alright chill, here is what I am downloading/need.  With everything, the
most modern version (Multiple, complete copies are fantastic):

System Rescue CD i386
Knoppix EN
Fedora Core 6 32/64-bit
Ubuntu 32/64-bit
Debian
	I don't know much about Debian, but
	people do request it

OpenSuse
	Don't know much about this either,
	but it is also a common distro

That's really it.  Nobody seems to insist on Mandrake (a.k.a Mandriva)
these days or anything else.  I only use Slackware (which I found out
I'm known for) if everything else fails, because it seems to always give
me the fewest problems.

The truth is that material degradation on CD-Rs starting at around 2
years and the speed of development in Linux, spending a couple hours
downloading/burning something that people probably won't use, has proven
to be in the past, a poor use of resources since the CDs need to be
discarded after 10-20 installfests.

Thanks.

~chris.