[vox-if] How'd it go?

Christopher James McKenzie mckenzie at cs.ucdavis.edu
Tue Oct 24 12:35:35 PDT 2006

Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 10:25:44AM -0700, Christopher James McKenzie wrote:
>> You would be adding a machine with the assumed responsibility of loading
>> on Fedora Core, Ubuntu, Debian, Gentoo, and Mandriva ***whenever there
>> is a major update***.  Also, you would need to sync with someone like
>> me, who has the installfest media - or you would have to take over that
>> also. It is of no use to demo a *version* that you do not actually have.
>
> I'm not sure the Installfest (where time is limited, and installs can take
> a while) is the best place to be demoing flavors of linux.
>
> At least, not to the people who have RSVPd and brought their hardware in.
> Maybe we could have a machine up for non-RSVPd people to play with,
> hands-on, without any assistance from the busy installfest volunteers.

I don't know if you get the point of the idea here, Bill.  I think the
general idea is so that people can get a feel of what they want.  I
contend that people either don't care, or if they did, this will
probably not be an effective solution.

I once described distributions through an analogy as grocery stores (to
someone who thought that a Fedora ELF binary couldn't work on his Debian
install)  In brief, all non-specialty grocery stores carry almost the
same exact products.  They just choose to place them in separate places
and in different quantities.

Any traveling shopper can walk in and get what they would have gotten
from their local store.  However, things are in different places.

Believe it or not, most people are perfectly happy getting linux on the
machine and being about to use it.  Just as many people are fine
wandering around the store to find the items they need as long as they
have them in the end and then leave.

Very few shoppers will demand that soda be on the left hand side of the
store facing west.

Realistically, if you are trying to get work done - it doesn't matter
what distro we put on the machine, as long as it's some major one like
Fedora, Ubuntu, Mandriva, or SuSE.

I feel like a fascist saying this, but giving people the options with
that much information in front of them is a mistake.