[vox-if] Next IF?

Jonathan Stickel jjstickel at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 14 10:50:58 PST 2005

Robert G. Scofield wrote:
> On Friday 25 February 2005 08:03, Jonathan Stickel wrote:
>
>>3rd Saturday of March! ;)  March 19.
>

> I want to say two things:
>
> 1)  I don't know if I can make the next IF or not.  But if I can, I would be
> willing to volunteer in a non-tech position.  I don't know whether I was that
> helpful or not last time, but if needed, and if I am free, I would come
> again.

Bob, you were most helpful.  Please do come again if you can.  The same
goes for others who are interested but don't feel "technical enough".
You can still come and help out in many ways.

> 2)  This leads me to an issue that's been on my mind for a few years.  I am
> the author of the original LUGOD release form.  A few years ago I volunteered
> as a non-tech helper.  And as I helped carry people's equipment back and
> forth between their cars and the installfest room, I wondered whether the
> release would cover my dropping the equipment on the pavement.  I haven't
> read the release in a long time.  I don't know.
>
> There's another issue with the release that I'd like to raise.  I don't know
> the answer to this because I'm not a tort lawyer.  But shouldn't the release
> also incorporate a release as to the U.C. Regents?  The way the release is
> now written (I believe) I don't understand why someone couldn't sue the
> Regents, and then the Regents sue LUGOD in return to recover any judgment
> that the Regents have to pay to a plaintiff.
>
> It might be prudent to put something in the lease about the Regents.  But like
> I said, since I'm not a tort lawyer I don't know how effective that would be.
> And I don't have the time right now to re-draft the release.  I'm just trying
> to raise some issues.

Thanks for the your concern about legal matters.  I'm not really sure
what is appropriate either.  The fact that we have something they sign
is good enough for me, but I'm open to revisions.

Jonathan